Friday, May 11, 2007

Anne's Thoughts...

This is kind of like a book report and is bringing me back to high school a bit...but at least this is by choice not awaiting a grade! Anyways, here's what I think...

1. I admire this quality in Jane, and definitely think it to be more noble than naive. There are days I wish I could see more of the good in people so I could truly love them like Jesus does. I love how Jane continues to see the best in people even when others around her are pointing out their flaws. I think we could all use a bit more of Jane in us.

2. Happiness in marriage is a choice I believe, not by chance. Yes, maybe things were different during those times, so maybe it made sense back then, but I definitely don't agree with that for today. I agree with Candace that this seems to be the mindset of society today when it comes to marriage, which truly breaks my heart. When I was a little girl I was taught that marriage is forever, and sadly that is not the message most of the children today are receiving. Especially due to all the "celebrity marriages" that last for a blink of an eye. My hope and prayer is that Teagan (my daughter) will understand how truly important marriage is. It is a covenant never meant to be broken, even through the roughest of times. And in those rough times you can choose to be happy, that's up to you and how committed you are to having a successful marriage. So, I believe this statement comes from more of a place of selfishness.

3. The most proud character so far would have to be Mr. Darcy. I know it seems like the obvious answer, but Jane Austen defines pride as what opinion we have of ourselves. The way Mr. Darcy is described and his actions show that he thinks himself to be better than most. This is an opinion he makes very clear to those around him. The most vain character? I'd have to say Mary. She seems to try so hard to be noticed...not surprising being one of five single women. Sadly this is such a true struggle today between women especially. I can't say that I don't struggle with it.

4. Yes, I do believe there still is social prejudice in today's society. It may not be as obvious in the same sense as the time period of P&P, but it is still there in many forms. Can I just say "Hollywood." It is sickening sometimes how celebrities are somehow made to be more important than others. We are all people, just some happen to be in movies...that doesn't make them greater or more special than anyone else. Especially when it comes to the law...that is a whole other discussion though so I will stop there. :-)

5. My favorite character so far would have to be Lizze. I love that she doesn't let Mr. Darcy get to her and blows off his rejection of her like it is nothing. She seems confident and strong, not defined by what others think of her.

Those are my thoughts for now...I can't wait to continue reading and to hear all of your thoughts as well!

1 comment:

emeryjo said...

I LOVE how Elizabeth didn't let Mr. Darcy's comment bother her too! I would have been a pile of goo on the floor if I'd heard someone talk about me that way. She's so confident in who she is. I wish I was more like that!