Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Respsonse to Chapters 1-3

Hi Em, am I posting to much? I have to say after reading chapters 1 & 2 I was appalled at this book. The language was driving me bonkers and I was about to throw it all out the window. I told this to Katie (Dickey from high school) and she encouraged me to continue on. So begrudgingly I did. Ooooo I got to chapter three and I must say, I am now drawn into the book. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I'll have to say when I read your post about taking notes on books I laughed. I thought to myself, "why on earth would she be taking notes?" Now, I find myself hurriedly scratching down notes from this book. There is so much to discuss. Like what a turkey Mr. Darcy seems to be. I read this,
``I certainly shall not. You know how I detest it, unless I am particularly acquainted with my partner. At such an assembly as this, it would be insupportable. Your sisters are engaged, and there is not another woman in the room whom it would not be a punishment to me to stand up with.''

and I wanted to punch him out. However I can't help feeling like we will soon find a reason for his actions. There must be more to this man.

I am having fun trying to decipher which sister they are speaking about. I find myself feeling like I am in school solving those puzzles....Sally is taller then mary but shorter then Lucy...you know. So far I know Jane is older and that is who Mr. Bingley seems to fancy.

I am very frustrated that Mr. Bennet wanted Mr. Bingley to be disliked. I can't understand his reasons for wanting his daughters to be unhappy when meeting him. I am farther behind probably then most of the other readers so I might be pointing out things that they already know the answers to.

So far I have been reading online but I can't wait to rush out and buy the book and also get a pretty notebook to keep track of all of my notes in. I'm having so much fun!

1 comment:

Emery Jo said...

I'm so glad this is fun fun fun for you! It is for me too for sure. And NO, you arent posting too much because there is no such thing. This Friday I'll post some general discussion Questions and all your notes will come in verrry handy I'm sure!