Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Bennet friends and family (pre-Bingley)

I am one of the swooners Emery described in her initial post on P&P. I think I've read this book five or six times, and I'm excited to read it again!!!! I'm looking at it as a welcome diversion from the boring insanity of writing term papers and grading speeches.
I think that one of my favorite characters in the book is Jane. She's not as exciting as Lizzie, but she's such a good-hearted person. Every time I read P&P I wind up feeling convicted that I'm not "naturally good" as Jane seems to be. Since we've learned a bit about the Bennet sisters, I thought it would be fun to include some information about their surrounding community.

Family members:
Mr. Bennet: the father of the sisters. Having had no sons, must give the estate (upon his death) to Mr. (rev.) Collins, his cousin. Lizzie is his favorite daughter, and he tends to take a decidedly uninvolved approach to parenting his wild younger daughters.

Mrs. Bennet: the mother of the sisters. She is described as a "silly woman" with little to no tact, and her goal in life seems to be seeing her daughters married off well. Her maiden name is Gardiner.

Mr. & Mrs. Gardiner: the brother and sister-in-law of Mrs. Bennet. They have no children, and consequently take pleasure in entertaining the elder Bennet girls from time to time. They earned their considerable fortune through trade and live in a somewhat questionable area known as "Cheapside."

Charlotte Lucas: the best friend of Lizzie. She has no fortune and is described as "plain," so her prospects in life aren't the best.

Mr. (Rev.) Collins: the cousin of Mr. Bennet. He is to inherit the Bennet estate upon Mr. Bennet's death. He is the rector in Hunsford, adjoining the estate of Lady Catherine DeBourgh.

I belive this is the extent of the people immediately surrounding the Bennets before the descent of Mr. Bingley and his entourage. If you want any more information about any of the characters, click here.

Happy reading :)

No comments: