Friday, May 11, 2007

Lorie's Answers and quote of the week

1. While it could be naive of Jane to be so optimistic, I think it's also an admirable trait. How often do we judge people by our initial encounter, regardless of the circumstance, without giving them the benefit of the doubt? I know I do, which is not something I'm proud of.

2. I think Charlotte is speaking from inexperience, and possibly even a place of bitterness. She's 27 (which is practically spinster during that time) not yet married, and it is indicated by Mrs. Bennet that she is someone nobody could admire her. And also, we don't know what kind of example her parents set in their marriage. I think our opinion of marriage is due in large part to the examples of those around us, especially our parents.

3. Refer to quote of the day below.

4. I think there is still a level of social prejudice, people thinking they can behave in a certain way and get away with it because of their social standing. Paris Hilton anyone?
But I can't imagine feeling like I was inept to love someone because of my or his social standing. That whole "wrong side of the tracks" mentality is something I haven't had to encounter personally. Although my husband does like to joke that I married up.

5. Favorite character? Probably Mr. Bennet. He reminds me so much of my husband. Witty, sarcastic, and although could be miserably annoyed by his wife, just lets her be her-if not having a little fun with her.

Okay, my quote of the week:

Chapter 5, Mary is speaking:

"A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us"

The ironic thing about Mary saying this is that she, to me, appears to be quite vain herself. Austen talks about her prior to the above speech, that she is someone who "piqued herself upon the solidity of her reflections"
translation: She had pride in being received as reflective. Later, in chapter 6 it talks about her performing at the party; " in consequence of being the only plain one in the family, worked hard for knowledge and accomplishments, was always impatient for display"

What do you think? Do you think she is vain or prideful?

I really was struck by that quote. Am I prideful? Or Vain?
I struggle with both, but as someone who wants everyone to like her, I guess I would struggle most with vanity.

What about you?

3 comments:

emeryjo said...

Interesting question regarding Mary... I think that she is both vain AND prideful (according to her definitions) because you can tell she is PROUD of her intelligence and insight, but she is also VAIN in her exhibition of her talents for approval.

Ironic that she is the one pointing out vanity and pride to others while being one of the most blatantley proud herself.

kachina said...

I agree about Mary. I think I would consider myself to be more proud, perhaps. I'm proud of who I am and who I've become...but I also crave for others to be proud OF me...

it's hard.

Andrea Terry said...

I completely agree regarding the Mary references. She is a character that frustrates me more each time I read the book, b/c she's so hung up on herself that she is unable to be there for others. Honestly, I think she and Mr. Collins would be PERFECT for each other.